Wellspring helps grow agricultural markets and businesses to deliver positive impact. We have deep practical experience of implementing projects and investing in agricultural value chains, combined with a strong consulting skillset.
We work with high-level clients from the private, public and third sectors, who come to us for our practical, valuable solutions and ideas. Alongside our partners we’ve facilitated investments into businesses, research and development projects worth over £200 million. While we work and invest globally, our focus is in Africa and the UK. We’ve carried out over 70 projects in agribusiness, market development and other areas.
Our clients and partners include DFID, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, AgDevCo, EU, Gatsby Africa, Innovate UK, Rockefeller Foundation, FSD Africa, GAIN, CABI, Farm Africa and many others
Further information is available at https://wellspring-development.com/
The consultant will work with our growing team of experts, working mainly on growth and transformation of agricultural and food markets to deliver positive impact. The consultant will work with wide range of stakeholders including agribusinesses, investors, development funders, technical experts and civil servants to help us deliver on consultancy assignments and supporting programme implementation.
Our team is in demand and the business is growing. But our top priority is to maintain our quality output and reputation. We can only grow as quickly as we can find the right people who share our values and have the specialised experience and capabilities we need. In return we provide a platform for people who want to use their experience, intelligence, creativity and skills to help us and our clients solve problems and deliver impact at scale.
The position is expected to be full-time and offered on a fixed-term basis – initially for two-years with the intention of making the position permanent.
The consultant can work from our headquarters near Bristol and Bath, or we will also consider remote and or flexible working for exceptional candidates, including those based overseas, depending on circumstances. Please note we are also recruiting separately for a senior managing consultant based in Nairobi.
As an experienced consultant in this field you will:
- actively contribute to the delivery of consultancy projects across our range of clients;
- support new business development, including through identifying new opportunities and preparing tender responses;
- undertake international travel as part of project work, including at times, working at the client site (in the UK and internationally); and
- contribute to practice management in general.
Required Experience and Skills:
- at least three or more years of consulting experience and skills, especially in agriculture/agribusiness, management consulting or training, finance, policy, market systems analysis and development, and/or monitoring, evaluation and learning in the international development sector;
- a genuine interest or experience in agriculture, agri-tech, environmental and renewable energy sector/ international development;
- a creative and problem solving mindset, with the ability to deal with complexity, ambiguity and uncertainty;
- at minimum, an undergraduate degree in economics, international development, public policy, finance or other relevant discipline;
- the ability to meet deadlines, manage their own workload whilst working in a collaborative manner with senior professionals;
- previously worked in consulting, industry, international institutions or government;
- strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, excellent written and spoken communication skills and experience of using Microsoft packages including Word, Powerpoint and Excel;
- the ongoing legal right to work in the UK.
Other desirable characteristics include:
- capability in economic and financial modelling;
- an excellent understanding of the policy and opertaing environment and finance and business development needs in emerging markets the agriculture sectors, particularly in Sub Saharan Africa and South Asia;
- experience of working/ living in developing countries alongside a network of professional contacts in the region;
- language skills in particular Swahili, French or Portuguese; and
- postgraduate degree in economics, finance, MBA or other relevant discipline.
Negotiable based on experience
Applicants should send a full CV and cover letter via the online submission form below.
Wellspring welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We recognise and actively promote the benefits of a diverse workforce and are committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.